Thursday, November 3, 2016

"Just Write" they say!



I've read this quote many time since the day I dreamed of being a writer. There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -Earnest Hemingway.   It's very telling, yes, you sit down and pour your soul out in the form of words---I get that part. No, it's not easy, but hey, anything that isn't easy is worth the work.  But I'm pretty sure Hemingway wasn't juggling a full time job, kids, personal drama, along with the crazy amount of undue pressure we put on ourselves nowadays to do and experience EVERYTHING. Hiking to that one little known waterfall, running in that big marathon, making homemade soap, raising farm animals, learning to play the harmonica.(okay that last one was a bit of an exaggeration...I have no delusion of having musical talent). We, as modern day humans, are feeling the pressure to do and learn as much as we can before we meet our maker and it's equally stressful and exhilarating.

Ok, in all honesty I could be completely wrong about Hemingway. He may have had a super busy life and still managed to write, I'm not a history buff alright and since I'm not planning on writing a book about the old guy I'm not going to do the proper research to find out. (Who has time for that??) My point is sometimes our dreams get pushed off so we can do the things that are screaming for our attention in the current moment. Like my dog who is wagging his toy in my face demanding I play with him. See, "current moment".



Hopefully though, like me, we all find our way back around to our calling and manage to form some kind of plan to get on track again.  So that's what I'm doing and what I'm rambling on and on about for three paragraphs just to get to this point: I'm BACK!

My plan:

  1. Write
  2. Live life
  3. Write 

Pretty simple Huh?  Yelp, there's no fighting life but for a writer there's also no resisting the call to weave worlds so the two must go hand in hand.  Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment